Monday, March 30, 2009

Week 34 Update

Interesting Facts:

Your unborn baby's muscles are maturing along with the rest of his body. He can hold his head up and turn it from side to side. He'll practice his new found muscle tone by stretching out his arms and kicking his legs.

If you're having a boy, the testes have descended into their proper place. Your baby's eyes are now open when awake, and closed when sleeping. Most of the lanugo is gone and replaced with a thick coat of vernix.

How Big Is Baby?
This week your baby is about 12.8 inches (crown to rump) and weighs nearly five pounds.

How We Feel:

I've been dreading this post and dragging my heels about writing it but, it's now the 34 week update and I guess there's no time like the present. We found out some news about baby and I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around it. While Stacy was in the hospital the Doctor noticed that she hadn't had a Fetal Echo cardiogram; apparently it's really important to be getting them if you're diabetic because there is a higher risk of heart defects when the mum is a type one diabetic. The doctor at the Alex referred her for the EC and she went last week. Unfortunately we found out that baby has a Ductus Arteriosus Aneurysm which in my simple brain means one of the tubes coming out of his heart is S-shaped instead of straight. It's rare, and can be serious, (can cause blockages, blood clots and future heart problems) but also can sort itself out after birth. Once baby is born we have to go to the Stollery Children's Hospital for followup, and I guess at that point the doctors there will decide if they will go in and fix it or if nature will run its course and it will work itself out. Even as I'm writing this my eyes have welled up a few times and it makes my heart ache to know there is something wrong with our little guy. We love him so much already and he's our little miracle to begin with so I have great faith that he will be just fine, but to hear your baby has something wrong with his heart sure makes it feel like there is something wrong with mine.


Now, after some deep breaths it's on to more exciting news. We are officially finished the nursery. The decals are up, the hutch is in and assembled and we are ready for baby. My wonderful best friend in the entire world surprised me with the greatest birthday present ever - the diaper bag I wanted from Ju Ju Be. Cindy was bugging me about how deluxe it was because even the change pad has memory foam...what can I say - nothing but the best for my baby's bum! Last night Dustin and I went down to the nursery and packed baby's little bag for the hospital, all I need to do is go to the store to pick up a container for travel wipes because the container we have is enormous and would probably take up the entire diaper bag!

This week we have another ultrasound and an appointment with the OB/Gyn so hopefully I have some pictures to post tomorrow.

Then we wait.

No comments: